September 25, 2014
Job Title: Pastor of Worship and Arts at Bow Valley Christian Church (Varsity Site) in Calgary, AB
Reports to: Executive Pastor
Works closely with: Senior Pastor
This pastor will exhibit a life committed to God and submitted to Jesus Christ as Lord. This person is first a pastor and second a music and worship leader. The following qualifications are key:
• a constantly growing relationship with God
• familiar with some of the recent literature regarding Missional Church
• strong relational skills
• a person who balances leadership with an ability to be a team player
• organized and administrative
• a life-long learner
• able to train others and reproduce yourself.
Primary Duties: To lead and provide oversight to all things pertaining to the main weekly gathering of the congregation; to recruit, train, and equip volunteers who serve in a related capacity; to provide spiritual direction and pastoral care for those volunteers; to help BVCC members develop a theology of worship that includes but is not limited to Sunday morning worship.
1. Administrative Responsibilities – meetings with entire church staff, training/evaluation with volunteers, expense reporting, and other related duties.
2. Weekly Congregational Services – planning of services, working well with the teaching pastor, communication of plans with volunteers, rehearsing with volunteers, leading services, and developing others who can lead worship services.
3. Special Services – weddings, funerals, and other.
4. Pastoral Care – Informal counseling, phone/email conversations, home/hospital visits, and office meetings.
5. Professional Development – conferences, seminars, reading, and research.
6. Team building – several task teams need to be recruited, trained, and coached. These teams include, worship teams, worship leaders, media teams, media leaders, lighting teams, lighting leaders, stage design team, sound teams, sound leaders, serving leaders, and communion leaders.
7. Knowledge of (or willingness to learn in a reasonable period of time) the following areas:
• running a sound board
• running a lighting board
• running various media such as PowerPoint and Pro-Presenter
• troubleshooting media, information technology, images, video, and sound concerns.
8. Scheduling of maintenance/purchasing of sound, projection, and lighting equipment.
9. Scheduling maintenance of instruments and tuning of pianos.
10. Oversight of special events such as Christmas in Bethlehem and Stampede Sunday.
• The salary for this position will reflect the training and experience of the successful candidate.
• Benefits including extended health and dental insurance are available.
• An annual professional development budget is provided.
Please reply to the Executive Pastor